Hi, I’m Getty!
Professional Home Economist. Public speaker. Educator. Recipe Developer. Author. And Good Food Champion!
I help put good food on tables and agendas.
I’m an outgoing, enthusiastic lover of food, family and nature. I was born in Germany, grew up on a prairie farm and was educated in Human Ecology and Education at the University of Manitoba. I have a husband, two teenage kids, a dog and a gigantic vegetable garden. Put it all together and you get ME!
Motivated by the sight of wasted food, I started Fruit Share in 2010. When people asked to learn more about using local, fresh produce, I started offering workshops and wrote my first book, The Prairie Fruit Cookbook:The Essential Guide for Picking, Preserving and Preparing Fruit. Today, I write, speak, appear on TV & radio, lead community workshops, develop recipes and do whatever it takes to help put good food on the table.
Here are the beliefs and guiding principles I follow when cooking for my family, developing recipes or planning community workshops.
- Prepare fresh, wholesome food from scratch
- Create dishes that use common ingredients and are easy to prepare
- Use local, fresh, seasonal food whenever possible
- Avoid ultra-processed foods as much as possible
- Practice balance and moderation
- Enjoy food with friends and family
- Work to make good food accessible to all
- Continually learn about food and our food systems
Recognition and Community
- One of Manitoba’s 100 Most Fascinating People
- Manitoba Distinguished Home Economist
- TEDx Manitoba Speaker – Sharing Our Surplus
- Excellence in Sustainability – Fruit Share
- Oxfam Female Food Hero
- Founder of Fruit Share
- Golden Carrot Award for Media – Community Food Champion
- Spirit of CAPS Manitoba Award – Professional Speaking
- Author of The Prairie Fruit Cookbook
- Habitat for Humanity Guatemala
- Healthy Living Award – Reh Fit Centre
- Bachelor of Human Ecology
- Bachelor of Education
Connect With Me
I appreciate and value you so much. I write this blog for you!
If you’d like to reach out to me and connect to ask questions, propose a partnership or professional opportunity or even just say hi, please do! I want to hear from you.