Here on the prairies when temperatures at the end of September hit 26°C there’s only one thing to do – GO OUTSIDE! My girl and I took full advantage by spending the day at Grand Beach, one of Manitoba’s greatest natural playgrounds. This unexpected trip, was the perfect opportunity to take along the CLIF Organic Trail Mix Bars that arrived in the mail for me to review.
The girl and I had a fantastic day exploring, hiking and playing. We did our taste testing of the bars on the trail and on the beach.
Before we reveal our favorites, here’s a little more about the bars. Each CLIF Organic Trail Mix bar is certified Canada Organic and gluten-free with 3 to 4 grams of fiber and 5 to 6 grams of naturally occurring protein. The bars weigh 40 grams and are 200 calories or less. Check out the nutrient content of each variety on the CLIF Bar website at www.clifbar.com.
What grabbed our attention right away were the gigantic chunks of nuts, fruit and chocolate. There were chocolate chunks on top and a chocolate coating on the bottom (except on the Coconut Almond Peanut bars). I didn’t realize until later that the chocolate was actually dairy-free chocolate. Who knew that would taste so good?! Dairy free ingredients mean these bars can be enjoyed by those with a dairy intolerance too.
The CLIF Organic Trail Mix Bars come in five flavors, listed here in order of our preference. They were all tasty. I mean, come on – nuts, chocolate and fruit, what’s not to love. I especially appreciated that none of them were overly sweet – who wants that when they’re active out and about?! With that said, I present to you our favorites:
- Dark Chocolate Cherry Almond – A chewy, fruity, nutty and chocolatey bar, all the things I love.
- Dark Chocolate Almond Sea Salt – The name says it all, you get a chewy yet crunchy bar with whole almonds and dark chocolate sprinkled with sea salt.
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter – I found this one chewy but a little tough, not too peanut buttery though, which I like.
- Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Raspberry – Given how much I love fruit, I thought this would be my favorite for sure, but the tartness of the raspberries and pomegranates was just a little too much for us.
- Coconut Almond Peanut – Huge chunks of almonds and peanuts with a mild coconut flavor. The only one of the five bars that didn’t have chocolate – maybe that’s why it’s at the bottom of the list?!
Here we are at the beach ready for snack time. Poor girl, she had to fight to get a CLIF bar!
If you’re interested in trying CLIF Organic Trail Mix Bars for yourself, they retail for $1.99 and can be found in most major grocery stores and natural food stores such as Sobeys, Wal-Mart, Safeway, Thrifty Foods, Save on Foods, Federated Coop, IGA, Costco, Shoppers Drug Mart, London Drugs, Rexall, most airports, Mac’s, Shell, Canadian Tire, 7 Eleven, Mountain Equipment Coop, Running Room, Sport Chek, or Amazon.ca.
Have you tried CLIF bars? Which one is your favorite?
Disclaimer: Thanks to CLIF Bar for sending along samples for this review.
Getty Stewart is an engaging speaker and writer providing tasty recipes, time-saving tips, and helpful kitchen ideas to enjoy seasonal food all year long. She works with clients to create food workshops, develop and test recipes and review products. She is a Professional Home Economist, author of Manitoba’s best-selling Prairie Fruit Cookbook, Founder of Fruit Share, mom and veggie gardener. Why not GetGetty to work for you?