Gorgeous, fresh, sunkissed prairie strawberries. OMG, I am in love!
Here are the top reasons why I love going berry picking with my kids.
1. Taste. Nothing compares to the taste of fresh picked fruit.
2. Sharing a prairie tradition with my kids. Okay, they may prefer a day at the pool, playing computer games or hanging out with friends, but one day they’ll remember these days fondly. Right?!
3. Connecting with where and how food is grown.
4. Getting outside.
5. Supporting our local farmers.
6. Driving through the countryside.
7. Disconnecting from everything else.
8. Learning about storing, preserving and using fresh food.
9. Meeting and chatting with others out in the field.
10. Enjoying tasty treats.
This year, we went to Grunthal Berries and Vegetables just south of Grunthal, Manitoba. They still had plenty of delicious strawberries and raspberries available. Thanks to Colleen for a wonderful experience and giving us a chance to taste test all the different varieties of strawberries.
Here are some photos of our day.