Hi, I’m Getty!
Professional Home Economist. Public speaker. Educator. Recipe Developer. Author. And Good Food Champion!
I love and eat all food – well, except Brussel sprouts, seafood and a few other foods. Hey, we all have our thing and that’s cool.
My work is teaching people easy, affordable, practical cooking skills they can use everyday to make healthy fresh food at home. I do this via workshops, demos, TV, radio, newspapers, social media, blogging, developing new recipes and even working in boardrooms to help make good food possible for all.http://winnipeg.can.newsmemory.com/?publink=0a8e0c72b
I help make good food happen at home, on the trail and in the community.
I’m an outgoing, enthusiastic lover of food, family and nature. I was born in Germany, grew up on a prairie farm and was educated in Human Ecology and Education at the University of Manitoba. I have a husband, two teenage kids, a dog, two cats and a gigantic vegetable garden. Put it all together and you get ME!
Motivated by the sight of wasted food, I started Fruit Share in 2010. When people asked to learn more about using local, fresh produce, I started offering workshops and wrote my first book, The Prairie Fruit Cookbook:The Essential Guide for Picking, Preserving and Preparing Fruit. Today, I write, speak, appear on TV & radio, lead community workshops, develop recipes and do whatever it takes to help put good food on the table.
What Does Good Food Mean to Me
Here are the beliefs and guiding principles I follow when cooking for my family, developing recipes or planning community workshops.
- Prepare fresh, wholesome food from scratch
- Create dishes that use common ingredients and are easy to prepare
- Use local, fresh, seasonal food whenever possible
- Avoid ultra-processed foods as much as possible
- Practice balance and moderation
- Enjoy food with friends and family
- Work to make good food accessible to all
- Continually learn about food and our food systems
Recognition and Community
- One of Manitoba’s 100 Most Fascinating People
- Manitoba Distinguished Home Economist
- TEDx Manitoba Speaker – Sharing Our Surplus
- Excellence in Sustainability – Fruit Share
- Oxfam Female Food Hero
- Founder of Fruit Share
- Golden Carrot Award for Media – Community Food Champion
- Spirit of CAPS Manitoba Award – Professional Speaking
- Author of The Prairie Fruit Cookbook
- Habitat for Humanity Guatemala
- Healthy Living Award – Reh Fit Centre
- Bachelor of Human Ecology
- Bachelor of Education
Connect With Me
I appreciate and value you so much. I write this blog for you!
If you’d like to reach out to me and connect to ask questions, propose a partnership or professional opportunity or even just say hi, please do! I want to hear from you.
Buy one of my cookbooks by clicking on the cover: