These chocolate chip oat cookies are our favourite!
The initial recipe was for plain oat cookies from the side of a package of oats – we’ve doctored it up quite a bit since including the chocolate chips. In our house they’ve become known as Melanie’s Cookies.
Another delicious chocolate chip oat cookie is this Banana Oat Chocolate Cookie. It’s an eat anytime, all the time snack because it’s basically just banana and oats with some chocolate chips. It’s also ideal if you need a gluten free, dairy free or vegan treat.
But these right here, are a classic chocolate chip oat cookie.
Recipe for Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies
Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies
- 1 1/4 cup large flake oats
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a medium sized bowl, combine oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add granulated sugar and brown sugar and continue to beat until smooth.
- Beat egg and vanilla into butter and sugar mix.
- Add dry mix to the wet mix.
- Mix until blended, then mix in chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet about 2 inches (5 cm) apart.
- Bake in oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
A Great Cookie for Beginning Bakers
One of the great things about this recipe, is it’s pretty forgiving. That’s good news when you’re learning to bake!
We’ve put this cookie batter through its paces – we’ve melted the butter completely, we’ve over-stirred and under-stirred and we’ve handled them ALOT and a lit when shaping. We’ve made 43 cookies from this recipe and another time we made 28 1/2 cookies! We’ve made them dark brown and we’ve made them light blonde. No matter what – we’ve enjoyed every batch! And trust me, there’s been a lot of batches over the years.
We hope you enjoy these cookies as much as we do. More importantly, we hope you create many fond memories making them with and for people you adore.
Let us know if you make these cookies, I’ll be sure to pass your comments and photos on to Melanie. Leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @getgettys and Facebook @GettyStewart.HomeEconomist.