This egg salad is one of my favourite parts about Easter Eggs. Decorating all those hard cooked eggs is a lot of fun but eating them is better! And this egg salad is the tastiest way enjoy them.
Our family tradition is to add dill to our egg salad. I’m not just talking about the herb – I mean we add dill pickles, dill pickle juice and dill. So if you’re a fan of straight up mayo and eggs, this is not the egg salad for you. But if you love dill and dill pickles, you have come to the right place.
Recipe for Dillicious Egg Salad
- 4 hard cooked eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tsp dill pickle brine or white vinegar
- 1 small to medium dill pickle finely diced
- 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp finely chopped green onions or chives
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and dice hard cooked eggs. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix sour cream, mayonnaise and pickle brine/vinegar.
- Mix in dill, chives/green onions, salt and pepper.
- Add diced eggs and diced pickle.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.
How Long Does Egg Salad Keep?
Hard cooked eggs kept in their shell in the fridge will last about 1 week in the fridge.
When you break open the eggs and use them in a salad like this, their shelf life is shortened.
More Egg Recipes
What’s your family’s favourite way to use up leftover hard cooked eggs? Let me know in the comments below or share a photo on social media and tag #getgettys so I can see it and like it.
Getty Stewart is a Professional Home Economist, speaker, frequent media guest and writer dedicated to putting good food on tables and agendas. She is the author of several recipe books on enjoying and preserving fruit, Founder of Fruit Share, a mom and veggie gardener.
Sign up to get articles by Getty delivered to your inbox. You’ll get recipes, practical tips and great food information like this.