Want to make golden crispy baked chicken fingers, chicken strips or chicken tenders? You, your kids, your neighbours kids and everyone else will LOVE these! They are the crispiest baked chicken fingers you’ve ever had!
Say goodbye to pale, overcooked chicken fingers! This recipe uses a secret weapon to deliver tender, crispy oven baked chicken fingers.
The Secret to Beautiful Brown, Crispy Baked Chicken Fingers
Are you ready? The secret is browning your coating first. See the difference below? By pre-browning your panko crumbs in a little bit of oil, you get an instant crispy, golden brown coating. Don’t worry about the added oil, one tablespoon of oil is much less compared to deep frying. And baking is much easier and safer!
Here’s a plate of panko crumbs that have been browned. Panko crumbs add even more crispyness than regular bread crumbs, but you can try the same technique with whatever you have on hand.
These browned crumbs given instant color and crispyness to your chicken fingers. See these guys – they’re not even baked yet!
How to Make Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Fingers
Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Fingers
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup Panko crumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- In small fry pan, heat 1 Tbsp of canola oil over medium-high heat.
- Add panko crumbs and stir to coat evenly. Continue to stir until crumbs are an even golden brown. Remove from heat, mix in in salt and cool.
- Slice chicken breasts into even sized strips, about 4-5 strips per chicken breast.
- Season strips generously with seasoning.
- Set up breading station – flour, egg, bread crumbs. Using all three stations in this order will ensure a coating that will stick to the chicken.
- Dredge strips in flour to coat and shake off excess. Dip in egg and slide along side of bowl to remove excess. Coat with panko crumbs and pat down.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° F (205° C) for 7 minutes, flip strips and bake for another 7 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 165° F (74° C).
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce or cool thoroughly and serve over salad.
Double, triple or quadruple this recipe and freeze chicken strips on baking sheet after they’ve been breaded (before baking). After two hours in the freezer, remove strips from baking sheet and place in freezer bag. To use, bake in 400° F (205° C) oven from frozen for 20 to 25 minutes or internal temp reaches 170° F (76° C).
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
How to Make Crispy Chicken Fingers
Cut chicken breasts lengthwise into relatively equally sized strips.
Season well with your favorite seasonings. You could mix the seasoning in with the flour, but by doing it separately you ensure each piece gets evenly seasoned.
Here’s the breading station all set up. Cutting, seasoning, flour, egg, crumbs and onto baking sheet.
Arrange on baking sheet without over crowding to allow hot air to circulate effectively.
How to Freeze Homemade Chicken Fingers
These chicken fingers are perfect for the freezer. Go ahead and make extras to freeze.
- Prepare chicken fingers as usual.
- DO NOT BAKE before freezing.
- Place breaded raw chicken fingers on a flat try and freeze for one to two hours. This step keeps them from sticking together.
- Once frozen, place in a freezer bag. Use a straw to remove as much air as possible from the bag.
- For best quality use within 3 to 6 months. They will be safe to eat much longer after that, but they will start to dry out a little.
- It’s always good practice to label and date anything you put in the freezer. Include reheating instructions as well to make it easy for anyone to cook them.
To Use Frozen Chicken Fingers
- Do not thaw.
- Bake in 400° F (205° C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes or internal temp reaches 170° F (76° C).
Our Favourite Dips for Chicken Fingers
Here are three simple dips you can quickly make while your chicken strips are in the oven:
Homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce – follow the link for full instructions
Honey Mustard Sauce
In a small bowl mix:
1 Tbsp honey*
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard or 2 Tbsp yellow mustard
*Gently heat honey in microwave or on stove before adding if not liquid.
In a small bowl mix:
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
1-2 tsp hot sauce
1/8 tsp salt
Which one will you choose?
What to Serve with Chicken Fingers
Here are some of our favourites to go with our chicken strips:
Caesar Salad – sometimes we put the strips on top
And there you have it, our secret to crispy oven baked chicken fingers great for family dinners, party snacks or cut up on top of a salad.
Will you give these crispy chicken fingers a try? When you do let me know what you think and if you’re on social media, please take a photo and tag #getgettys and and Facebook @GettyStewart.HomeEconomist so I can see it and like it!
Sign up to get articles by Getty delivered to your inbox. You’ll get recipes, practical tips and great food information like this. Getty is a Professional Home Economist, speaker and writer putting good food on tables and agendas. She is the author of Manitoba’s best-selling Prairie Fruit Cookbook, Founder of Fruit Share, a mom and veggie gardener.