Try this green bean and basil for a tasty, hardy and filling salad. Green beans and basil are an awesome combination!
The beans and basil are ready to come in from the garden. In addition to freezing some beans and drying some basil, I decided to experiment with a bean and basil salad. The result was an incredibly delicious salad that we’ve made three days in a row – it’s that yummy.
Don’t you just love the vibrant colors! I tried making this without blanching the beans, but we found the beans too crisp and a bit squeaky – you got a try it with raw beans to get it. We like it best with lightly cooked beans. I’ve also made this salad with canned green beans and homemade frozen beans. Each was good and tasty! As for the kidney beans – we’ve used whatever canned beans we have on hand, including chickpeas, black-eyed peas, navy beans, pinto beans, etc.
The fresh basil is simply amazing – make sure you have that. If you don’t have basil, try this Classic 3 Bean Salad instead.
Recipe for Green Bean and Basil Salad
Green Bean and Basil Salad
- 1/2 lb green beans
- 1/2 lb yellow beans
- 1 cup red kidney beans (chickpeas, navy beans, etc.)
- 1 tbsp finely diced onion
- 2 tbsp freshly cut basil
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Cut or snap off blossom end of beans (green & yellow).
- Wash beans.
- Cut beans into 1 inch pieces.
- Blanch beans in boiling water for 3 minutes or until done to desired tenderness.
- Cool beans in ice water to prevent continued cooking.
- Drain well.
- Toss beans with kidney beans, onions and basil.
- In a separate small jar, mix oil, lemon juice, mustard, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Shake vigourously.
- Pour on top of bean mix.
- Serve immediately or store in fridge for up to 24 hours to let flavours blend.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
How Long Will This Salad Last
I love that this salad will last in the fridge 4-5 days and be as tasty, crisp and fresh looking as on day one. You just may need to add a little more seasoning over time.
MORE TASTY SALAD RECIPES
If you’re interested in more tasty and unique salads, here are some others on this website…
Are you ready to try this green bean and basil salad? If you make it, share a photo on Instagram and tag @getgettys I can see it and like it!
Sign up to get articles by Getty delivered to your inbox. You’ll get recipes, practical tips and great food information like this. Getty is a Professional Home Economist, speaker and writer putting good food on tables and agendas. She is the author of Manitoba’s best-selling Prairie Fruit Cookbook, Founder of Fruit Share, a mom and veggie gardener.