This white chicken chili recipe may be a little different than traditional tomato-based chilies, but I know you’re going to love it! It’s a flavourful blend of chicken, white beans, jalapenos and corn. Warm and comforting, this chicken chili is perfect for a hardy, filling lunch or dinner.
“It’s Delicious, But It’s Not Chili”
The recipe features ground chicken, white kidney beans (cannellini) and pinto beans for healthy sources of protein. The jalapenos add just the right amount of heat and the corn adds extra fibre, nutrients and colour. It all comes together in a thick, white sauce made with pureed beans, chicken stock and cheese. The result is everything you want in a bowl of thick and delicious chili. Or so I thought…
Apparently, there are some that believe no matter how good a chili recipe is – it must have tomatoes in it to be called chili. I live with some of these chili extremists – their exact comments – “It’s delicious, but it’s not chili!” Who knew my friends and family could be so strict about naming their food!
What do you think? Does chili need to have a red, tomato-based sauce to be called chili? Leave a comment below and vote on whether or not it’s fair to call this recipe White Chicken Chili!
If you’re vehemently opposed to calling this chili, go ahead and call it Jalapeno Chicken Bowl or whatever you’d like.
If, after all this, you’re in the mood for a delicious bowl of chicken chili with a tomato sauce try this CHICKEN CHILI WITH CORN & BLACK BEANS from Manitoba Chicken Producers. It’s their most popular chili recipe and you red chili fans will love it!
Why Ground Chicken?
For this recipe, I chose ground chicken because it is:
- LEAN – when I cook with ground chicken, I don’t have to worry about draining excess fat – there isn’t any! It’s naturally lean and in a saucy dish like this, it cooks up nice and tender.
- PROTEIN PACKED – of all the common ground meats, ground chicken offers the highest amount of protein, the lowest calories and the least fat – what’s not to love about that!
- FLAVOUR HOST – ground chicken has a mild taste on its own, making it the perfect host for the flavours in this recipe which may be overpowered by ground beef.
Buying Ground Chicken
You can find ground chicken in the poultry section of your grocery store. Often you have a choice of ground chicken breasts (lighter in color) or a blend of white and dark chicken meat. If there’s only one type of ground chicken, it is typically a blend. Either type will work perfectly in this recipe.
When shopping for chicken you can also look for the “Raised by a Canadian Farmer” logo. This is one of the ways to ensure you’re getting Canadian raised chicken and supporting nearby farmers.
Use Leftover Cooked Chicken Instead
If you have leftover cooked chicken, you can use it instead of ground chicken. Shred or chop the ground chicken and add with the beans and corn. This version means dinner is ready in 20 minutes!
Freezer Friendly Meal
Go ahead and double up this recipe to freeze for another meal. Simply let cool completely and seal well in airtight freezer containers in convenient portion sizes. Simply thaw, reheat and enjoy with a handful of fresh cilantro, parsley or green onions.
Recipe for White Chicken Chili
White Chicken Chili with Corn
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp cumin
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2-4-6 Tbsp canned jalapenos (hot chilis)*
- 1 can 19 oz/540 ml white kidney beans (canellini)
- 1 can 14 oz/398 ml navy beans
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- fresh cilantro or parsley chopped
- cheddar cheese shredded
- sour cream
- jalapeno rings
- diced avocado
- Heat oil in large pot or Dutch oven for 1 minute. Add ground chicken and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add the onions and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add oregano and cumin and briefly sauté until aromatic (about 1 minute).
- Add soup stock, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce and diced jalapenos. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse white kidney beans and navy beans. Add half of each to the pot. Combine the remaining beans and puree into a smooth paste with an immersion blender or potato masher. Stir into pot.
- Add corn and simmer for 10-15 minutes to heat through and blend flavours.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper, hot sauce or lime juice as needed.
- Remove from heat. Serve in bowls and top with your favourite toppings.
- Serve with rice, bread or simply as is.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
Favourite Breads & Biscuits
No one is walking away hungry with this chili, but if you want to add a homemade bread or fresh biscuit on the side, consider one of these recipes:
Will you give this white chicken chili recipe a try? Let me know your experience and if you try this recipe, please take a photo and tag #getgettys and @ManitobaChicken so we can see it and like it!
This recipe was written in paid partnership with the Manitoba Chicken Producers. It’s always a pleasure to partner with them and support our local farmers. As always, opinions are my own and a sincere reflection of life in my home.