Pancake mix made at home is super easy to make and provides the same convenience as store bought pancake mix. Here’s a recipe that includes skim milk powder, whole wheat flour and cinnamon. Perfect for at home, the cottage or camping.
This recipe makes enough for three batches of pancakes for a family of four.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon or apple pie spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup powdered milk
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients.
- Mix very well.
- Pour into a 1 quart (1 litre) jar.
- If needed for space, pack ingredients firmly and give jar a couple of taps to settle ingredients.
- Seal jar tightly and store in cupboard for 6 months to a year.
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- In large bowl beat egg, water and oil.
- Add in 1 ¼ cup of the pancake mix.
- Stir just until moistened.
- Pour onto a hot, greased pan.
- Turn when bubbles form; cook until second side is golden.
- Makes 8 pancakes.
Yield Mix fills 1 quart (1 litre) jar, enough for 3 batches of 8 pancakes each
We also use this mix make Apple Pancake Rings. One batch made with 1 1/4 cup of mix as instructed in the recipe is enough to coat four to five apples. Each apples makes about 7-8 rings.
When I was a little girl, we only ever had pancakes for supper. I didn’t know pancakes were considered a breakfast food until I moved away from home! And, our pancakes were always huge – the size of a dinner plate. Everyone got one pancake. Go figure.
When and how do you eat your pancakes?
Getty Stewart is an engaging speaker and writer providing tasty recipes, time-saving tips, and helpful kitchen ideas to make home cooking easy and enjoyable. She is a Professional Home Economist, author of Manitoba’s best-selling Prairie Fruit Cookbook, Founder of Fruit Share, mom and veggie gardener.