Roasting fennel takes about 30 to 40 minutes, about the same as carrots, potatoes, parsnips or onions. The process makes the licorice flavor much milder than when fennel is eaten raw. You can roast fennel on it’s own or mix it with your favorite roasted veggies. For a more precise recipe, try this.
Roasted Fennel with Carrots and Onions
- 1 bulb fennel
- 1 cup halved lengthwise baby carrots
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1/2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp fennel fronds chopped
- Preheat roasting pan in 425°F oven for 10 minutes. Heating the pan will give a nice golden crispy crust to veggies.
- Cut fennel bulb into quarters and remove core.
- Cut each quarter into 3 to 4 slices.
- Toss fennel, carrots and onion together with canola oil, salt and pepper in a bowl until all pieces are coated.
- Pour oiled veggies on preheated roasting pan.
- Roast at 425° for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring once half way through.
- Add fennel fronds to garnish.