Herb and Parmesan Spaghetti Squash- A Tasty, Easy Side Dish
Try this herb and parmesan spaghetti squash as a tasty side dish.
Also read: How to Make Crispy Spaghetti Squash Pancakes, Spaghetti Squash Mac n’ Cheese, Four Ways to Cook Spaghetti Squash
One of the challenges of big dinners like Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas is planning a combination of traditional favorites and interesting new dishes. It’s not likely that you’re going to swap your family’s traditional turkey or ham – could you imagine if you did?!
So the turkey stays – but what about the side dishes? Now we’re talking. Other than possibly one or two absolute family favorites, side dishes are an excellent way to introduce something new. Might I suggest spaghetti squash?
Here’s a spaghetti squash recipe that hits the mark. It’s tasty without being too bold or shocking and yet it’s interesting enough to start conversations. It’s colorful, nutritious, locally grown and best of all it can be made ahead of time.
Herb and Parmesan Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash 1 medium, about 3-4 cups noodled
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh green onions
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190° C).
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- Place cut-side down on a greased baking dish.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until fork tender. Do not overcook or else it may become mushy or watery.
- Once cool to the touch, use a fork to scrape the strings out of the squash halves. You should get 3-4 cups of spaghetti squash. Adjust remainder of ingredients if you have more or less than this.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft, do not allow to turn brown.
- Toss spaghetti squash into butter and garlic.
- Heat until spaghetti squash is heated throughout – about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Toss in parsley, green onions, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and half of Parmesan cheese.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Pour onto serving plate and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
To bake it whole, to steam it or to microwave it read How to Cook Squash
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
For more spaghetti squash or other winter squash recipes check out these links:
- Identifying, Storing and Cutting Winter Squash
- How to Cook Winter Squash
- How to Cut, Cook and Enjoy Spaghetti Squash
- Winter Squash Recipe Round-Up
- How to Make and Freeze Pumpkin/Squash Puree
- How to Roast Pumpkin/Squash Seeds
- How to Roast Delicata Squash
- How to Cut, Peel, Roast and Use Butternut Squash
- How to Make Crispy Spaghetti Squash Pancakes
- How to Make Spaghetti Squash Mac and Cheese
Getty Stewart is an engaging speaker and writer providing tasty recipes, time-saving tips, and helpful kitchen ideas to make home cooking easy and enjoyable. She is a Professional Home Economist, author of Manitoba’s best-selling Prairie Fruit Cookbook, Founder of Fruit Share, mom and veggie gardener.