A frittata is a quick and easy egg dish that’s ideal for those of us who don’t want to fuss with folding omelettes or making crusts for quiche. A frittata is basically a crustless quiche that has an endless variety of ingredients. You can add any combination of cheese, veggies and/or meat.
A frittata starts on the stove top for 3 to 5 minutes to cook the filling and to set the eggs from the bottom. Then it is moved to the oven for another 2 to 3 minutes in order to set the eggs from the top. A complete meal finished in just 10 minutes. Perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. We often serve ours with oven rosemary roasted potatoes that I pop into the oven before I start preparing ingredients for the frittata.
Filling Ideas for a Frittata
Include your favorites or whatever you have in the fridge. Frittatas are great for using up what you have. If you need some inspiration consider some of the following:
spinach, peppers, green onions, broccoli, asparagus, kale, tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, marinated artichoke, zucchini
cheddar, Gruyere, Swiss, Gouda, feta, goat cheese, ricotta, mozza, jalapeno, Parmesan and the list goes on
shredded chicken, sliced sausage, pepperoni (think pepperoni pizza style frittata), ham, proscuitto, bacon…
onions, garlic, green onions, thyme, oregano, basil…
Recipe for Spinach and Pepper Frittata
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup red pepper diced
- 1/2 cup yellow pepper diced
- 3 cups fresh spinach coarsely chopped
- 8 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- In an oven proof skillet, heat the oil on medium heat.
- Sauté the garlic lightly to release the flavours.
- Add peppers, heat through for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the spinach and sauté until just starting to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whip eggs in a bowl until well mixed.
- Add milk, seasonings and half the cheese to the eggs.
- Pour egg mixture over spinach.
- Cook on medium heat until the bottom sets and begins to brown, about 3 minutes. The top will still be wet.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Place under broiler of oven on low setting (be sure your oven rack is in the top rack).
- Broil until the top of the frittata is set and starts to brown (about 3 minutes).
- Take out of oven and let sit for 2-3 minutes for the inside to set.
- Slice into wedges and serve.
We like to serve frittata with a fresh salad or some fresh baked cheese biscuits.
What are your favorite frittata ingredients?
Sign up to get articles by Getty delivered to your inbox. You’ll get recipes, practical tips and great food information like this. Getty is a Professional Home Economist, speaker and writer putting good food on tables and agendas. She is the author of Manitoba’s best-selling Prairie Fruit Cookbook, Founder of Fruit Share, a mom and veggie gardener.