- 1 cup almonds
- 3 apples
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Grind almonds in food processor until coarse.
- Core and slice apples into quarters (no need to peel). Add to food processor and process until fine.
- Add honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and almond extract to food processor
- Blend well.
- Spread mix on lined dehydrator screens (para flex sheets, plastic wrap or parchment paper) at least ¼ - ½ inch (6 - 12 mm) thick.
- Score and separate the mix into bar shapes.
- Dehydrate at 115°F (46°C) for 20 to 24 hours, flipping bars halfway through.
- Bars should be dry throughout but still pliable.
- Cool completely and store tightly sealed in a dry, dark place for several months.
- Makes 18-24 bars 1x3 inch (2.5x7 cm)
Here are a few photos of the process.
After combining everything in the food processor, spread mix on lined dehydrator screen 1/4-1/2 inch thick. You can use parchment paper, plastic wrap or the paraflex sheets that come with your dehydrator – DO NOT use wax paper.
It’s easiest to make the bars before dehydrating (guess how I know that!). Score the mix into bar shapes.
Depending on the humidity of your house and how thick your bars are, it will take almost a full day to get them dry enough. They should be dry but pliable (bendable).