This Italian sausage and kale soup is a hearty comforting soup perfect for lunch or dinner. The spicy Italian sausage provides great flavour and compliments the kale, veggies and beans that are also in this soup.
Make this soup on your stove, crockpot or Instant pot – which ever way you choose, it’s an easy way to prep a delicious meal.
Recipe for Italian Sausage and Kale Soup
Italian Sausage and Kale Soup - StoveTop or Crockpot
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage (454 g)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced save leaves for garnish
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp each oregano and thyme or Italian Seasoning
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper as desired
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 sweet potato, diced (optional)
- 6 cups soup stock
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice or cider vinegar
- 1 can diced or crushed tomatoes 28 oz (796 ml)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 rind of Parmesan cheese (optional)*
- 1 can white beans (any kind), drained and rinsed 19 oz (540 ml)
- 4 cups fresh roughly chopped kale leaves (spinach, swiss chard)
- 1 Tbsp fresh celery leaves, dill, parsley or green onions to garnish
- Remove casing from sausage and sauté over medium high heat until browned. Remove from pot and set aside letting fat drip off.
- Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic and cook until slightly softened, 3 to 5 minutes. If pot is too dry, add a little water to prevent burning. Stir frequently.
- Add seasoning and cook just to release aroma, 1 minute.
- Add sweet potato (if using) and return sausage to pot.
- Add soup stock, vinegar and tomatoes, scraping off any browned bits from bottom of pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, add bay leaf and Parmesan rind, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Add beans and kale. Let simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Remove bay leaf and Parmesan rind.
- Remove from heat and garnish with celery leaves, parsley, dill or chopped green onions.
Flavour Making Tip
If you enjoy fresh Parmesan cheese, you have all you need to add extra flavour to your soup. Sure, you can grate fresh Parmesan on each bowl, but more than that, cut off the hard rind and toss it into the soup while it’s cooking. It will add great umami flavour to your stock.
What to Serve with Italian Sausage & Kale Soup
This soup is a full meal, no one is going to walk away from the table hungry. Sometimes, we get fancy and make roasted tomato focaccia to go with this soup, usually, we stick to a simpler homemade bread or fresh biscuits. Consider…