How to Make Taco Seasoning at Home
This homemade taco seasoning is a game changer. It has fantastic flavor, ingredients you’ll be happy to offer your family and only as much salt as you want. You’ll be saying goodbye to yellow taco seasoning bags forever.
When it comes to flavoring the chicken or beef topping for our tacos, I relied on commercial taco seasoning for far too long. It was easy and had the right flavor, but I didn’t love the long list of ingredients and high amount of salt.
So, I created this recipe that tastes very similar to the commercial products (my family would object otherwise) and meets my criteria for simple ingredients. We’ve been using the following recipe ever since – that’s since 2014!
Taco Seasoning Recipe
- 4 Tbsp chili powder
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Mix all ingredients in bowl ensuring any lumps are removed.
- Pour into small jar and seal well.
- Taco Sauce
- To make sauce for tacos add ½ Tbsp flour and 3 Tbsp of seasoning to hot skillet of fully cooked ground beef or chicken. Stir in 2/3 cup of water and cook until bubbling and thickening. Add as much salt as you prefer.
How to Use Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Use this seasoning blend on any Southwestern inspired dish such as tacos, taco dip, shredded chicken, chicken taquitos, fajitas, tortillas, taco beef mix, etc.
- Try it on popcorn as popcorn seasoning.
- Use as a dry rub for roasting or grilling chicken or pork.
- Replace store bought packages to make a saucy mix for taco meat.
Saucy Taco Meat Recipe
My family loves the flavorful, sauce that you get with the store bought packages of taco spice mix. To get that same sauciness, here’s what to do:
To replace one package combine:
- 3 Tbsp of homemade taco seasoning
- 1/2 Tbsp of flour
- 2/3 cup of water
- 1 – 2 tsp salt to taste
Brown and fully cook ground beef or chicken in skillet. Sprinkle with 3 Tbsp of taco mix and 1/2 Tbsp of flour and stir to blend in. Gradually stir in 2/3 of water. Add 1 tsp salt. Taste and adjust salt if needed.
Other Homemade Seasoning Blends
Apple Pie Spice – great for all fruits and baking, not just apples or pies
Lemon Herb Seasoning – great for veggies, chicken and fish
Italian Herb Seasoning – great for veggies, soups, sauces and pasta
Creole Seasoning – great for meats, soups, stews and sauces
Homemade Spice Blends
Steak Seasoning – great for all meats and when mixing ground meat for burgers, meatballs or meatloaf
Popcorn Seasoning Recipes – not just for popcorn!
Chili Lime Seasoning – great for chicken, fajitas, tortillas, taco salad, etc.
Chili Cheese Mix – great for steamed veggies, pasta, scrambled eggs, garlic toast or as an ingredient in homemade bread
BBQ Seasoning – great for chicken, barbecued meat, beer can chicken, pulled pork, ribs, etc,
I’d love to see your blend and what you’re making with it! Take a photo and tag #getgettys so I can see it and like it!
Getty Stewart is a Professional Home Economist, speaker, frequent media guest and writer dedicated to putting good food on tables and agendas. She is the author of several recipe books on enjoying and preserving fruit, Founder of Fruit Share, a mom and veggie gardener. Sign up to get articles by Getty delivered to your inbox. You’ll get recipes, practical tips and great food information like this.